False Alarm

On Sunday morning, I woke up hungry so the husband took me out to one of my favourite shops and I had a huge breakfast (a whole plate of white rice, sambal terung and gulai ketam at 10am). I was one happy Mommy. Unfortunately though, throughout the entire day after that, I kept getting the urge to go to the loo. It’s like I felt this strong need to take a major dump, but when I sit there on my little white throne, nothing happens. This went on all day, and on top of that, my stomach kept tightening consistently on an average of every 20 minutes. I brushed it off as Braxton hicks at first but after Googling a bit, quite a number of people associated my two symptoms as early labour signs. That obviously got me thinking.

However, I wasn’t in any pain, just very uncomfortable. The husband was of course over the edge already. He went into full gear prepping baby stuff. Fixed baby carrier into the car, set up the baby cot bedding with Chemps (who eagerly helped), nak buat air selusuh la, etc. Kesian dia panic.

I was already tired from the day’s ordeal so as he was busy running around doing this, I fell asleep. Surprisingly, it all went away that night but just to be safe, I called up my doctor’s nurse the next morning and filled her in with details.

She said it doesn’t sound like much to be concerned about but just in case, I should come and do a CTG scan to monitor baby’s heartbeat and my contractions. So after sending Chemps to school, the husband and I drove to the hospital for a monitoring session.

I was told to lie down on the bed and they strapped this two monitoring pads to my stomach, which enabled us to hear baby’s heartbeat and run a trace on the contractions. My cheeky little Dot2 decided that it was kind of fun to kick the monitoring pad, so now and then we’d hear a loud “BUMP! BUMP!” as opposed to just his little heart beating.

Entertaining ourselves in the labour room.

After a boring 30 minutes (the husband even managed to catch a snooze), the monitoring session was over. My contractions were there but very mild and far apart, so it’s nothing serious yet. Baby’s heartbeat was fine, so I told the nurse, ok saya balik office dulu la ye.

Of course, she had to check with the doctor, who told her to do an internal examination to see if I’m dilated yet or not. I was hoping that wasn’t necessary. I remembered my first internal when I was expecting Chemps, it was painful and uncomfortable. I expected it to be the same this time around, what more the person who will be doing it isn’t my doctor (she’s a midwife I think). But surprisingly, she was really gentle and I barely felt anything more than just her hand/finger movements. Thank God!

 She reports that I was 1cm dilated and that’s it. Obviously 1cm means nothing so the husband and I went back to work, continuing our day like normal.

I have a feeling that Dot2 is going to take his own sweet time in making his grand entrance into our world…. heheh…

Leave a Reply